One of the fastest-growing government uses for engraving has been in marking parts for identification. As safety and security have continued to grow exponentially in importance, so too has the need to quickly and accurately track parts. Even though contracted manufacturers might provide their own serial numbers, more often these days government entities are setting up their own tracking systems to meet requirements set down by OSHA and other agencies. Applications include serial numbers, manufacturing lots, machine specifications, legend plates, and tags — on many surfaces, aluminum, brass, stainless steel, and plastics.
New Hermes machines are not just engravers, they're true machining centers, allowing clients to drill, mill, and perform 3-D machining with precision. In addition to the laser and rotary engraver lines, New Hermes offers industrial micro-percussion marking machines that can mark directly on parts in difficult areas, without using consumables and without generating dust. Marking is fast — from 1 to 4 characters per second.
Tool and part-marking improves tool control and inventory operations for increased accuracy and safety on flight lines and in repair depots. Recent innovations such as use of CERDEC — a chemical that when applied to uncoated metal using a CO2 laser engraver, creates a permanent black mark — allow permanent marking of tough materials such as stainless steel and other metals. Many marking processes can be set up for unattended operation, using very large engraving areas, making dozens of plates or tags in one run, reducing the personnel required, and dramatically increasing productivity. Engraving software helps to quickly create or import logos, graphics, bar codes, etc.
Part Identification Tool: Examples
- IS200 Smaller-capacity Engraver with 8.9 x 3 in. engraving area
- IS200 APF ? PC-controlled Automatic Plate Feeder for unattended production of rectangular plates
- IS400 Computerized Rotary Engraving Machine ? 12 x 8 in. engraving area, incredibly robust, flexible, and adaptable to a wide range of jobs
- LS900 Laser Engraving Machine ? 24 x 24 inch engraving area, perfect for CERDEC metal marking for several tools at once
- Micro-Percussion machines for efficiently marking metals and plastics
- Wide selection of indoor and outdoor metals for rotary or laser applications
- Custom fabrication services for pre-cut plastics and metals
To learn more about New Hermes’ government engraving machines and materials please contact us.
Phone Toll-Free: 1-800-843-7637